Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:49:53 -0700
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: boot ordering and syslogd

Doug Barton wrote:
> Sam Leffler wrote:
>> Doug Barton wrote:

>>> It's a chicken-and-egg issue because if you need the network to do
>>> remote syslog'ing (or syslog'ing to an NFS partition, etc.), you need
>>> the network up first.
>>>
>>> What I've done in similar situations is to modify a copy of
>>> dhclient-script to spit out data to a text file. If you need
>>> something more robust you could always change the ordering locally.
>>> If you need help with that just let us know.
>>
>> Er, this is a problem that needs to be fixed; not hacked around w/
>> local mods.  We are losing logging that makes diagnosing problems hard.
>
> There is a purpose for the order as it exists, so I would argue that it
> is not a problem that needs to be fixed. However I'll let others respond
> now.
>
> Doug

I am fully aware of the ordering constraints but if we are to depend on
syslogd for logging messages then this cannot remain.  This is really a
byproduct of using privsep in various applications and it may be that we
need to come up with a solution whereby privsep support learns how to
deal with this problem.  But saying "it's not a problem that needs to be
fixed" is utterly lame.

	Sam