Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:29:24 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   burncd weirdness

Hi all!

Today I opened a pr after recompiling my kernel and collecting
debug output, because I couldn't get writing CDs to work.

The pr is at

Seemingly I was heading in the wrong direction altogether.
Just by toying a little bit with burncd and its various
options I found out that writing with 1x speed doesn't work,
while 2x and 4x do.

Anyone got an idea what's going on here? Is this a kernel
issue as suggested by my pr or is it burncd? Or flaky HW
- which I should have expected buying an ATAPI burner. :-/

Here's the output from experimenting:

ardbeg# burncd -f /dev/acd0c blank
blanking CD, please wait..

ardbeg# burncd -f /dev/acd0c -s 2 -e data test.iso  fixate
next writeable LBA 0
writing from file test.iso size 386 KB
written this track 386 KB (100%) total 386 KB
fixating CD, please wait..

ardbeg# burncd -f /dev/acd0c blank
blanking CD, please wait..

ardbeg# burncd -f /dev/acd0c -s 1 -e data test.iso fixate
next writeable LBA 0
writing from file test.iso size 386 KB
written this track 386 KB (100%) total 386 KB
fixating CD, please wait..
burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCCLOSEDISK): Device busy

ATAPI debug output for the latter case is already in the pr.

If this is just pilot error, I'll happily go to freebsd-questions and
close my pr ;-)

TIA,
Patrick