Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 14:15:14 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        sos@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>, pst@jnx.com, current@freebsd.org, archie@whistle.com
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/netinet in.h ip_fw.h ip_input.c ip_output.c

sos@freebsd.org wrote:

> > context switches are just not going to cut it...
though sometimes you need to do things with packets that
require interaction with a database of reading from files etc..
I put it to you that having a general way of getting the packets
out of the kernel is  better than adding bloat IN the kernel to
do these things.

> Exactly, but I share Garrets concerns on the mess we have in the IP
> code by now (Se the new thread "How do we cleanup the IP code mess"
> I've started for a possible solution).

Certainly I had misgivings about adding stuff to the
IP processing path
so I am certainly happy to see if we can clean it up..

I like the idea personally of a pointer that is jumped to, that
normally results in normal processing, but which can be replaced and
'chained' as soeren suggests.