Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:17:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: NFS help needed

On 24-Feb-99 Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
> On 23-Feb-99 Conrad Sabatier wrote:
>>
>> Could someone provide an example exports file that would allow either
>> machine to mount any part of the other's file system (as user root would
>> be fine)?  I'd be *most* grateful.
>
> Shouldn't be that hard:
>
> /etc/exports
>
> /dir1                   machine1
> /dir2                   machine2
> /dir3/dir4              machine2
>
> That's basically it for the exports file.
>
> Watch out for this though:
>
> /dir1                   machine1
> /dir2                   machine2
> /dir2/blah              machine2
> /dir2/bleh              machine2
>
> this will _NOT_ work since it has to be like this:
>
> /dir1                   machine1
> /dir2 /dir2/blah /dir2/bleh     machine2
>
> If ye need more ideas about how to set it up, just ask =)

Still having problems, I'm afraid.  I've managed to get rid of the
"permission denied" errors, but still no success otherwise.  I've setup
the exports files like so:

On cougar:

/ -alldirs -mapall=root dolphin 206.27.167.254

On dolphin:

/ -alldirs -mapall=root cougar 206.27.167.253

The IP addresses are good, by the way.  We use a bit of ppp negotiation
trickery to always obtain the same dynamic IPs on connecting to our ISP.

I'm running mountd with the flags "-l -r -n", and nfsd with the flags
"-r -u -t -n 4".

Anyway, mountd on the server machine reports successful mounts from the
client, but the client simply hangs, never returning to the shell prompt.

I've tried various comands to do the mount (/testnfs is a small directory I
created for testing purposes):

mount -t nfs cougar:/testnfs /mnt
mount_nfs -T -i cougar:/testnfs /mnt

and so on and so forth.  Same results each time.  Frankly, I'm baffled.

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>

Swahili, n.:
        The language used by the National Enquirer to print their
retractions.
                -- Johnny Hart