Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 1997 18:48:44 GMT
From:      mouth@ibm.net (John Kelly)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem problems

On Sat, 26 Jul 1997 20:18:41 -0400, you wrote:

>	Hi.  I'm having some problems with a no-name internal
>modem that are baffling me, and I'm hoping to find some help.  I
>recently started to need two serial ports in addition to my
>modem, so I moved it to sio3 and irq 2/9, whereas it used to be
>setup as sio1 irq 3.  Once I changed the modem over, FreeBSD
>would no longer get decent transfer rates.

I have 16 serial ports in my machine.  By means of resistors and
diodes, two of them are sharing IRQ 9, and they work fine under
FreeBSD 2-2-2.

There are all sorts of things that can be wrong.  I've heard some
people claim that because it's the "slave" interrupt, IRQ 2/9 would
not work properly in their machine, or anyone else's machine for that
matter.  I've never found that to be true in any machine of mine,
though.  I nearly always use IRQ 9 for a modem serial port without any
problems.

You might try a different IRQ.  Even if you have to pull out some
other card to try IRQ 5, 7, or whatever, the most likely person to
diagnose the problem is you since you have access to the hardware.

John.