Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 11:42:02 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Peter Kok <peter@sweda.com.hk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail setting

On Mon, Aug 24, 1998 at 07:03:36PM +0800, Peter Kok wrote:
> Hello
>
> i also have question following.  i can send email, but i couldn't
> receive email
> how do i do?
>
> my isp name:         netvigator.com
>
> my freebsd:             peter.netvigator.com
>
> my isp login id:     samuelm
>
> now when i used 'pine' to send out email, the sender is
> 'peter@peter.netvigator.com'
> but if receiver wants to reply this email to me,  they couldn't send
> email to me using this
> 'peter@peter.netvigator.com' as receiver.
> because 'peter.netvigator.com' does not exist on internet!

Indeed it doesn't.  You could register that domain and arrange all the
necessary forwarding, routing and name service with your ISP, but I doubt
you want to go to all that trouble and expense just for email.  The easiest
fix is to change your sendmail configuration so that all mail from your
machine appears to come from netvigator.com, so your address will appear as
peter@netvigator.com.

In /etc/sendmail.cf there should be a couple of lines that read:

# who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
DM

or something similar (the DM line is the important one).  Change this to:

# who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
DMnetvigator.com

and all should be well.  If I've forgotten anything I'm sure someone on the
list will let you (and I) know :)

Cheers,

	Scott.