Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 1995 23:48:27 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jond@ctaeng.com (jon doran)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install via FTP failing -- 3C509 probed, not in menu

jon doran stands accused of saying:

> Help!  I'm trying to install 2.0.5R on a 486 with a 3COM 3C509.

The standard procedure with these (as documented in the hardware guide, IIRC)
is to disable every other device at 0x300, as the '509 is very touchy
about being probed at.

> If I boot normally, the card shows up in the media menu, but I get a message
> saying "unable to configure the ep0 interface" when I try to install.  I was
> unable to read the results of the probe on a normal boot, as the screen clears too
> fast.

You can hit ScrollLock and use the cursor keys to scroll back and see the
boot messages.

> Jon Doran

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[