Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 20:15:29 +0000
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel debugger and X11.

--r4QXMf6/kyF/FvJJ

I'm having some intermittant problems on my laptop that I'd like to
debug, but as I use X11 most of the time it's difficult to use the
kernel debugger when the machine hangs, which is when I'm in X :(.

Of course the nicest thing would be to return the screen to text mode
automatically when the the kernel debugger is entered, but because X
controls the video registers I guess that that's not easy or possible.

I suppose that the best way is to have a second FreeBSD box and couple
them via RS232, but this isn't always convenient. (I seem to have the
most time to work on FreeBSD when I'm travelling).

Does anyone have any working practices around this problem?  I'm sure
that I'm not the only one of us with it.

Joe

--r4QXMf6/kyF/FvJJ

--r4QXMf6/kyF/FvJJ--