Date:      Wed, 01 Aug 2001 16:11:27 -0700
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   FA410TX under -stable (was Re: Better patches [long])

Ian Dowse wrote:

> but it works without help on a 100baseTX link. Does anyone else
> reading this list have positive or negative experiences with this
> card since the miibus support was added?

I cvsup'd yesterday and built the kernel and world. My FA410TX works,
but the throughput is a bit weird. Here's my test results plugged into a
10/100 switch with the peer on 100baseTX/full duplex:

line speed	duplex	throughput
10baseT/UTP
half
3.8 KB/s
10baseT/UTP
full
1 MB/s
100baseTX
half
20 KB/s
100baseTX
full
500 KB/s

I can only believe that this is a combination of the bandwidth
limitations of PCCard strangling the 100baseTX modes and the switch
throttling the low speed modes. Low bandwidth results showed a
burstyness indicative of dropped packets.

But to answer the question, at no point did the card fail to respond to
'ifconfig ed0 media' type operations, and the only hiccup was that when
I first stuck the card in I got a couple of timeouts while the miibus
tried to figure out what media to use.

The laptop is a Vaio Z505JE, which probes as a Ricoh RL5C475 Cardbus
bridge on a non-shared interrupt.