Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:14:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brent Peterson <bap9@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Install stops from purchased CDROM!

Using the BSD 4.0 Boxed set I have, using the orginal,
manufactured CDs:

I am trying to install free BSD on an old AST advantage 8075p
on to a 4gig conner CFP4207S drive. Adaptec 2940W/UW scsi
card. The machine is a pentium 1, and has a 4X Toshiba
ATAPI CDROM drive model XM5302B.

I boot from floppy disk with the CDROM in the drive and
the install proceeds fine until I get:
Unable to transfer the Servers/XSVGA distribution from acd0c
do you want to try to retrieve it again?

ALT-F2 gives the following message:
acd0: READ_BIG - MEDIUM ERROR asc=15 ascq=00 error=00
/stand/gunzip: failed gzclose
/stand/cpio: premature end of file

the first time I just selected no for that package and
several there after to get out of the install and started
over. Now on the second try, the same error has occured.

What's going on here? Free BSD is happy with the CDROM
until this point.

I have just completed installing Openstep without difficulty
on the ATA/EIDE drive, so I know this machine should work
with a BSD type unix OS.

I'd like to know how to get this install to work, but the
usenet archives only show people having the same problem but
no posted solutions.

thanks,

-Bp

=====