Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2002 08:47:10 +1000 (Australia/ACT)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        RSchilling@affiliatedhealth.org (Schilling, Richard)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org ('stable@freebsd.org'), avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au ('avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au')
Subject:   Re: who's been smoking crack in freebsd land now ?

In some mail from Schilling, Richard, sie said:

> > From: Darren Reed [mailto:avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au]
> >
> > No, you just piss people off when they have to deal with
> > rather arbitrary
> > fucking changes.  It's not like the first time I've had to
> > deal with crap
> > like this in FreeBSD so I may as well get used to it, I guess.
>
> There are few things more irritating than a wayword developer wanna-be who
> expects every UNIX implementation to be the same.  FreeBSD is one of the
> most stable platforms, so once you finally get your wits about you and learn
> to study code, you won't see many surprises at all.

There's SUSv* for that.  As for "stability"...well, that's not the same as
quality, is it ?  There seems to be an awful big rush to make 4.6 for some
reason...

> > You should be able to compile a LKM without any compile
> > errors, shouldn't
> > you ?  You know, an LKM that gets compiled without config'ing
> > a kernel ?
> > Heck, you shouldn't even need kernel source installed to
> > compile & use an
> > LKM.  I mean isn't that the point of LKM's or has that been
> > forgotten too ?
>
> In case you didn't notice, the kernel usually compiles just fine without an
> error.

It does?  I recall once mentioning the problem of compile warnings only
to be told that FreeBSD didn't care about them.  ie compiling with
-Werror would not result in a built kernel.

> 	#ifdef _KERNEL
> 	#warning "Don't #include ioctl.h in the FRIGGING KERNEL.  Include
> xxxio.h instead."   // emphasis mine
> 	#endif

Problem is, xxxio.h doesn't exist unless you have config'd a kernel.