Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2000 15:16:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: REVISED: Active partition problems with FreeBSD 4.0/NT dual-boot

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Mark Ovens wrote:

> It did it again because you still have boot0 in C:\BOOTSECT.BSD. As I
> explained, boot0, as found in /boot, has an *empty* PT as per the
> dd(1) output I included. Get rid of C:\BOOTSECT.BSD.

I didn't boot off C:\BOOTSECT.BSD that time, I "hit F5, then hit F1" to
boot back into FreeBSD (i.e. I did it entirely through the FreeBSD boot
loader process). In fact, C:\BOOTSECT.BSD disappeared with everything else
on the original NTFS partition when the partition table was overwritten ;)

It did it again because the "active" flag in da0s1's partition table entry
was cleared when I booted into FreeBSD. Upon reboot, the BIOS--seeing
that no partitions were marked active on the lowest numbered BIOS drive--
threw out the error message and stopped the boot again. It's a bug, but
it's not uncommon, from what I've seen in the freebsd-questions archive
and elsewhere.

For what it's worth, I followed the procedure in the FAQ to do what I did:

    "If FreeBSD is installed on the same disk as the NT boot partition
     copy /boot/boot1 to c:\bootsect.bsd or if FreeBSD is installed on a
     different disk copy /boot/boot0 to c:\bootsect.bsd."

     --from http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html#AEN2066

Considering the results, the information in the FAQ should probably be
changed.

> If you want to use NTLDR to boot FreeBSD you *will* need boot0, but
> you *must* let sysinstall install it and you *must* install it on
> *both* disks.

It's already on both disks, at this point. It seems to have installed
itself the one time I loaded C:\BOOTSECT.BSD off the NTLDR menu. Should I
have expected this?

> The only other way that I can see, without re-installing FreeBSD, is
> to get your system running and then boot FreeBSD from the Fixit floppy
> and dd(1) *only* the first 446 bytes of boot0 to your MBR (the PT is
> the last 66 bytes - 64 bytes + the 2-byte signature)

Thanks for that info; it'll definitely come in handy in the future,
and now I know what the hell happened to the partition table on da0 the
first time around.

The problem at the moment is simply that the "active" flag on da0s1 is
unset every time I boot into FreeBSD. Now that boot0 is installed on both
disks, I can make the system usable after booting into FreeBSD by
remembering to use fdisk to set da0s1 active before rebooting, or by
booting off a Win98 startup floppy, and using Win98 fdisk to set da0s1
active. It's a pain, though. Should I just stick the appropriate fdisk
command in rc.shutdown?

Cheers,
Mick