Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 14:31:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Roop Nanuwa <roop@gw.carpoolbc.com>
To:        Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
Cc:        webmaster@wmptl.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, dristovsk@home.com
Subject:   Re: OFFTOPIC: Hardware mb/cpu question...

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> Subject: OFFTOPIC: Hardware mb/cpu question...
>

> > Has anyone got an Asus P3B-F (440BX) mainboard to successfully run with
> > an Intel PIII 800/PIII 850 mhz CPU ? Just want to assure the possibility
> > before purchasing new cpu.

One of my two workstations has a P3B-F Mobo and is running a P3-800MHz
cpu.. no problems, no complaints... (I have upgraded the BIOS to the
latest version, so I'm not sure if older BIOS' will cause an issue or
not)

> The ASUS website says that motherboard will support the P3-800 if it is of
> hardware revision 1.03 or later, and BIOS revision 1004 or later.  (You can
> update the BIOS, but you can't do anything about the hardware revision #)
> Given the pricing of AMD to Intel right now I would be leary of buying a P3,
> especially a slot 1....looks like the p3-800 100mghz is running about $190.
> The Duron 800 is about $90 right now, and the Athlon 900 is about $190....of
> course you probably already have a P3 motherboard.

If you are not set on going for another Intel chip, I would HIGHLY
recommend going for an AMD solution.. you can get a decent new mobo and a
high speed thunderbird cpu for just a bit more than just a Intel P3
coppermine.. my first workstation has this configuration (A7V +
TBIRD 800) and I regret not going for this for the other workstation

RSN