Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 1995 10:10:53 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <cimaxp1!jb@werple.net.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, jb@cimlogic.com.au
Subject:   Re: int type in jmpbuf

> Actually, the occurance of a signal condittion give you the _opportunity_
> to set a flag.

But not necessarily an opportunity to _check_ the flag.

> Then you check the flag on a blocking call *not* in the signal handler
> before actually making the call to decide to do the context switch, and
> the problem goes away.

But if the running thread is not about to do any blocking calls, then it
can only be preempted by making a decision in the signal handler. The signal
handler has to perform the context switch. How else can we time slice between
two threads each doing while(1); ??

--
John Birrell                                CIMlogic Pty Ltd
jb@cimlogic.com.au                          119 Cecil Street