Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 16:53:47 -0700
From:      Kameron Gasso <kgasso@blort.org>
To:        Chris Byrnes <chris@jeah.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Domain WHOIS/Sendmail

On Tuesday 19 June 2001 04:32, you wrote:
*snip*
> Now sendmail doesn't like it.
>
> Jun 19 18:27:14 awww sendmail[1105]: f5JNREJ01105: ruleset=check_mail,
> arg1=<Domain.Manager.System@web14.nyat.register.com>,
> relay=[216.21.228.13], reject=501 5.1.8
> <Domain.Manager.System@web14.nyat.register.com>... Domain of sender
> address Domain.Manager.System@web14.nyat.register.com does not exist
*snip*

blort% host web14.nyat.register.com
Host not found.

Simple as that..

Nothing to do with the WHOIS database spamming weenies from what I can tell,
your sendmail is just configured to not accept mail with a FROM address that
doesn't resolve (or at least have an MX record, which this return address
does not).  Seems register.com's at fault here, but you could make sendmail
accept such messages (and increase the likelyhood of receiving spam or forged
mail just a tad).  IIRC, in sendmail.cf under the check_mail section, comment
out the line:

R<PERM> $*              $#error $@ 5.1.8 $: "501 Domain of sender address "
$&f " does not exist"

<troll>