Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 08:20:17 +0500 (KGT)
From:      CyberPsychotic <fygrave@freenet.bishkek.su>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ownership funnies.

> > Probably I miss something really stupid, anyway, here's my story, my box
> > is freebsd 2.2.7, now abit of expirement:
>
> 	Someone else already gave you an answer as to why the group wasn't what
> you expected, but I wanted to point something else out to you.

ok.. thanks.

> > cat /etc/passwd | grep  user1
>
> 	DON'T use 'cat' to view a file, ever.

control characters, right. :) ok. cat /etc/passwd | grep user1 | less :-)

> Use 'more,' or better yet, use
> something that has built in safety checks like 'less.' This was
> discussed recently on one of the lists, check the archives

ok.. thanks. I will have a look.

> if you want
> all the details. There is no reason at all to use more than one program
> in a situation like this where grep will do all the work for you, and a
> lot of reasons NOT to do that. For this situation the proper syntax is:
>
> grep user1 /etc/passwd

:) sure.

> > I remmeber I had to edit their ID/GID by hand.
>
> 	You would probably be better off to change /etc/group so that the gid's
> match the uid's before you add too many users to the system.

 I checked this out also. it's also correct. ig. user1 has gid 1001, and
user2 -- 1000.( I guess I pointed it out in my original message).

 The weird thing now, is that homedir group owner gets changed to user2
(for user1) when he logs in.. what may cause it?