Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 21:30:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: syscall() ABI questions

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Julian Elischer wrote:

> But the API for vfork forbids the child from doing a 'ret' after the vfork
> returns.. if it does that, all bets are off.... you can do:
> vfork();
> exec();
>
> and that 's about all that's ok...
> I'm not even sure about
> vfork();
> exit();

I think the point is that the vfork stub has to return back to the
function which is intending to call exec() and therefore exposes the
memory location which held the return address to possible corruption
(certain corruption considering that the call to exec will push stuff onto
the stack).

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Phone: +44 20 8348 6160