Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 1999 01:12:36 +0100
From:      tobi@physcip.uni-stuttgart.de (UUCP)
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org (UUCP)
Subject:   Still no sucess with Staroffice 5.1a

Hallo!

Thank you very mucs for that overwhelming amount of answers to my
Staroffice problems. I tried all suggesstions you gave me, but
unfortunately, it still does not work. Here again a summary, as some of
you asked about the details:

- FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE (cvsupped on Monday, re-made world and kernel)
- linux_base 5.2 (from the ports tree also cvsupped on Monday)

Now a detailed report of what I have done now:

- Aquired root privileges
- Removed all remenscants of older installation attempts. Really all of
them.
- Placed the staroffice distribution tarball to /usr/ports/distfiles
- Downloaded the "German Staroffice 5.1a" port that has been announced
here
  yesterday
- Done the base installation with that very port.
- Done ln -s /home /compat/linux/home
- Changed back to user privileges
- Put $PREFIX/Office51/bin and $HOME/Office51/bin to my PATH
- Invoked $PREFIX/Office51/bin/setup and clicked a lot of buttons ;-)
- After that, invoked $HOME/Office51/bin

The result is unchanged: I get a dialog box telling me that in my
Staroffice installation, the file "/home/tobi/Office51/sofficerc" file
cannot be found, and that the installation program can try to repair
that file if I wish. The file was there, though, and of course the
"repair" would not help.

I did then a truss on "soffice" to find out what that damn thing was
actually looking for, and this is what struck my eyes:

First, there are some read commands that fail obscurely like this:

syscall read(0x6,0xbfbfd12c,0x20)
        errno -11 'Resource temporarily unavailable'

some lines later, there is:

syscall linux_newstat("E#^F(o^(/^G",0xbfbfcdac)
        errno -2 'No such file or directory'

(the actual garbage in the string is a little different, but my editor
would not accept that garbage to be dropped into it ...).

Soon after, there is one "SIGNAL 20" and three "SIGNAL 30".

I am open for any suggestions and will try them after Christmas. Which
reminds me: a Merry Christmas to you all. :-)

Kind Regards,
Tobias.