Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 10:26:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Aitken <jaitken@dimension.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD packages

When creating a FreeBSD package that replaces one or more files
which already exist on the system, you can use the 'preserve'
option in the packing list file to save files which would be
overwritten.  These saved files are restored when the package is
removed.

However, I can't seem to find out what the name of the saved command
is _from within my package_.  I can see that if I replace
/usr/bin/foo, the original /usr/bin/foo is renamed to
/usr/bin/.foo.PACKAGENAME.backup.

Can I rely on this naming scheme, or is there a programatic way of
finding out what a file was renamed to from within a package (e.g.,
in an install script or somesuch)?

Alternatively, can I get this information out of any of the pkg_???
commands?  I have tried most everything in the man pages, but no
luck so far.

--
Jeff Aitken
jaitken@dimension.net