Date:      Sat, 5 Sep 1998 23:52:16 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        User Measl <measl@smaug.mfn.org>, FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ntpdate TCP or UDP

In the last episode (Sep 05), User Measl said:
> Greetings.
> 	I noticed that sometimes ntpdate will get past
> our ipfw rules, and sometimes it won't.  The rules are ok,
> but heres what happens.  If I use:
>
> 	ntpdate -b ncar.ucar.edu
>
> It always works.  If I type:
>
> 	ntpdate -b -d ncar.ucar.edu
>
> it *never* works.
>
> Typing ntpdate -b -d -t 5 ncar.ucar.edu will work *sometimes*  8=}}

"ntpdate -d" should never set your clock, as -d sets debugging mode:

   The -d flag may be used to determine what ntpdate will do without it
   actually doing it.

Try running tcpdump on your network link during the ntpdate.  See if
you get any response from the server.

Also, check to see if your ISP provides NTP services for its clients.
PSInet, for example, does.  You're welcome to use "ntp.emsphone.com",
if you want.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com