Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 1997 21:31:34 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        dg@root.com, bag@sinbin.demos.su, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q about 100Mb ether cards

> >> been able to get it to work. The Pro/100B is well supported; it's what I'm
> >> using in wcarchive and I haven't had any problems. It consumes about half
> >> the CPU time that the de driver does and has about the same level of
> >
> >that's curious though, since both do DMA from/to mbufs. What CPU
> >overhead are we talking about, 1% or 10% ?
>
> On a P5/133 with a 21040 (driven by de0), total network overhead for
> ttcp -t is 10-15%.  The idle overhead is about 11% (systat reports 6-7%
> Sys and 3-4% Intr, and a process that doesn't do any memory accesses
> slows down by about 11% when ttcp is running).  A process that does lots
> of memory accesses slows down by 15%.

I am not sure on how to interpret these data. I guess the 6-7% is
common to all drivers (the 21040 is a 10Mbit/s thing, right ?)
and the remaining 3-4% changes from board to board.
I guess I'll have to determine numbers for 100 Mbit/s boards and the
21140... can you tell me more details on your test setup ?

	Luigi