Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 17:14:57 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Brian Herbert <bherbert@wgate.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.8

In the last episode (Dec 12), Brian Herbert said:
> In the last episode (Dec 12), Brian Herbert said:
> > > My question is:
> > >  What is the maximum hard drive size will 2.2.8 support.
> >
> > I had 80-gig RAID volumes mounted on a 2.2.8 box years ago, so at least
> > that big.  I don't see why you couldn't go higher.  You probably want
> > to upgrade to 4.4 though.  2.2.8 is 3 years old.
>
> Thank you for your timely response. But if you are using a single
> drive what is the maximum size FreeBSD will support?  I am using a
> 40GB single drive, and BSD will not recognize it.  If I use the
> jumper on the drive and down size it to 33.8GB FreeBSD has no problem
> recognizing it.

My RAID was an external unit that looked like a large SCSI disk to the
FreeBSD machine.  When you say BSD doesn't recognize the disk, exactly
what fails?  Do you get "No Operating system", or can it not find the
kernel, or does it say "Panic: can't mount root", or something else?

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com