Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 14:48:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        kline@tera.com, kline@thought.org
Subject:   X11 problem?

  Late last week after upgrading my P90 box to 2.2.6 I began running
  into problems with netscape, chimera, and mosaic.  --But not, strangely,
  the w3 browser in XEmacs.

  When trying to read certain web pages the entire window manager
  would crash and after several moments I'd be looking at a new xdm
  login screen.

  This invariably happened when I tried to read my HTML-3.2 pages.
  Either locally, on my system, or out of the net.  I would have
  suspected that ``bad-HTML'' crashed my browsers except that bother
  netscape-4.0.5 and chimera running on my new 6x86 platform did not
  crash.  On that console, no problem.

  There are two things that seem likely: 1, something in my P90
  environment is improperly set up.  I can't imagine what; I've
  narrowed it down to virtually zero.  Or 2, the XF86_W32 driver
  is buggy (or buggy in conjunction with the rest of v3.3.2.  I've
  got an old Tseng-4000 chip in my videocard in the P90, and a Matrox
  Millennium (XF86_SVGA).  The Matrox driver may be good; the other
  not.

  A third possibility is that when I upgraded from 2.2.5, something
  got fouled up; but this is reaching.

  Below is some output captured when I was running from xinit---yes,
  things bomb there, too; not just from xdm.

  Ideas, people???

  thanks,

  gary kline

  PS: Please copy me with any feedback.  Mail//network//sendmail problems
  are keeping me shut off from the `real-world'! --gdk

  encl:

Warning: Cannot convert string "True    " to type Boolean
Warning: Cannot convert string "True    " to type Boolean
Warning: Cannot convert string "True    " to type Boolean
May 29 14:31:07 tao communicator-4.05.bin: /etc/spwd.db: Invalid argument
May 29 14:31:07 tao communicator-4.05.bin: /etc/spwd.db: Invalid argument
May 29 14:31:07 tao communicator-4.05.bin: /etc/spwd.db: Invalid argument

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

When reporting a problem relating to a server crash; please send
the full server problem, not just the last messages

W32 Accelerator:  WAIT_ACL timeout.  Skipped.
May 29 14:37:18 tao /kernel : pid 433 (XF86_W32), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (cor
e dumped)
xterm: fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
xterm: fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
xinit: connection to X server lost