Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 03:30:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jhb@FreeBSD.ORG (John Baldwin)
Cc:        jasone@canonware.com (Jason Evans), arch@FreeBSD.ORG, rjesup@wgate.com (Randell Jesup), bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein)
Subject:   Re: HEADS-UP: await/asleep removal imminent

> Well, it will be unused if we axe all tsleep's in favor of cv's which does
> incur extra overhead, as each cv has to be init'd and destroy'd and carries a
> linked list around with it.  The extra storage overhead doesn't outweight the
> speed increase (from lack of the hash lookup) in all cases I think, so I'm not
> sure we want to axe tsleep() just yet.  If you axe tsleep() then asleep() can
> be emulated by either passing cv's around between functions.

I'll ask the same question I asked the POSIX committee about
mutex initialization:

Why is a non-default initialization required?

Why explicitly choose an implementation that doesn't permit
static instances to be declared and used, without explicit
initialization?

What is the freaking problem with "zero" not being a perfectly
valid number in this warped philosophy?

Pick a "just initialized" state that equals "all zeros".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.