Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 12:22:27 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        erich@lodgenet.com (Eric L. Hernes)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, erich@lodgenet.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interest in a linux_crossdev port?

Eric L. Hernes stands accused of saying:

> Thinking on it a bit more I'd like to see two ports: linux_lib
> and linux_devel.

I always thought that was the best way to go.

> The linux_lib port is a pre-requisite for linux_devel. linux_lib
> contains all the libraries *.so*, *.a, ld.so, etc, etc, It's not
> unreasonable to stick bin/bash here either.  linux_lib will
> package up so that people who install packages only, will be
> able to get linux binaries to work relatively painlessly.
> You could talk me out of sticking the .a's here, as they're
> only really needed for the _devel port, but if the goal is to
> split up the 45 meg file a bit more, they can just as well be here.

No, the idea was just to cop out^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hhave you coordinate the
_lib and _devel ports.  I would be very much inclined to leave the .a
files out of the _lib port.

> The linux_devel port includes only the header files, and compiler/linker/...
> stuff and maybe a few misc other binaries (gmake?).  linux_devel will
> have NO_PACKAGE set because if you're cross-developing stuff, you've
> already graduated from `casual user' to `hacker' ;-)

The linux_devel port would include the headers, compiler etc. tools,
.a-format libraries, other shared libraries (libbfd etc.) only required
by the tools, manpages/infopages for the tools and libraries, etc.

I agree about NO_PACKAGE.

> Yesterday I spent a few minutes playing with this. I fetched
> everything from red-hat that resembeled a library.  I extracted
> them and tried to run `ldconfig', which creates a wierd directory
> (named `0\330\277\357') and/or coredumps. I suspect ldconfig needs

This is a symptom of an unbranded static Linux ELF binary 8(

> to be branded.  So I've built a newer world with branding support, but
> have yet to reboot.  Hopefully branding ldconfig helps.  Then I'll
> see what else will or won't run.

OK.  If you're working with RedHat as a base (and this may well be better;
I know next to nothing about the Linux developer world), then I'll leave
this in your capable hands for now.  If there is anything I can do to help,
let me know.

--
]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@gsoft.com.au.au          [[