Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:20:36 +0000
From:      Daniela <dgw@liwest.at>
To:        "Lucas Holt" <Luke@FoolishGames.com>, "'jason'" <jason@ec.rr.com>, "'Me'" <d3javu1978@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Beginning C++ in FreeBSD

On Thursday 15 April 2004 11:10, Lucas Holt wrote:
> Many universities teach C++ exclusiveley now.  Java and C++ share some
> common ground on syntax and the fact that they both support Object oriented
> programming.  Aside from that, there are many differences.  C++ is native
> code and executes faster than java which uses a virtual machine.  C++ code
> is compiled into C code by the compiler and then assembly.  Java is
> converted into byte code for a virtual machine.

What? C++ code is converted to C? Which compiler are you using, and why the
hell would a compiler do this?

I would definitely recommend to start with assembly. It gives you a good
understanding of the hardware, and every programming language you learn
afterwards will be a piece of cake. Then get a good reference (some have
already been mentioned) and start coding a real program right away, skip that
boring "hello world" stuff. I learned seven programming languages in five
months with this method.

Daniela