Date:      Fri, 02 Jul 1999 16:07:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>
To:        Natey <natey@natey.za.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, Fadi Sodah <sodah@qatar.net.qa>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft-Email Service Runs on FreeBSD

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (actually, it was on 26-Jun-99),
the great prophet Natey once wrote:
> At 11:25 PM 99/05/05 +0300, you wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I hate to inform you that this rumour has no truth.  They do infact run
> NT
> servers for their e-mail services -- see the headers from a message set
> from within Microsoft.  They do have a few NetWare servers from what I
> have
> heard. ;-)  I have replaced some of the stuff with xxxx's for some
> reasons.

No, in fact it is true.  HotMail (http://www.hotmail.com/), which is
actually now owned by Microsoft, uses FreeBSD machines running Apache as
their front end (it the part that actually serves up html), and Solaris
boxes as their backend (the big databases that actually store the email).

Here is some proof:
NetCraft (http://www.netcraft.com/) is a nifty service that has a feature
that can tell you what OS and webserver that a particular website is
running.  Here is what I got when I typed in www.hotmail.com:

www.hotmail.com

         www.hotmail.com is running Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8
SSLeay/0.9.0b on FreeBSD

         Apache is also being used by Javasoft, Financial Times, W3
Consortium, and The Royal Family.
                  FreeBSD users include Yahoo, The Apache Project, and
MP3.com.

(Try this yourself, go to http://www.netcraft.com/, click on "What's this
site running?" and type in www.hotmail.com)

---
Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>-Member The FreeBSD Project| PGP: Your
*NEW* WWW HomePage: http://more.at/dburr/ ICQ #16997506 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.