Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:00:12 +0900
From:      Seigo TANIMURA <tanimura@naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp>
To:        nakai@internetsolutions.co.jp
Cc:        Seigo TANIMURA <tanimura@naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp>
Subject:   Re: ports/11013: port audio/8hz-mp3: source not distributed

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:15:53 +0900,
  Yukihiro Nakai <nakai@internetsolutions.co.jp> said:

>> The situation will NOT change. The patent for mp3 is on the acoustic models
>> used on coding and decoding. Since 8hz-mp3 has the patented acoustic models
>> in itself, they cannot distribute their encoder.
>>
>> Considering above, we should cvs rm this port.

nakai> I don't think so.
nakai> Use RESTRICTED, NO_CDROM, NO_PACKAGE or some macro will prevent
nakai> redistributing.

The problem is on the distribution of the original source by 8hz, not *re*distribution.
They cannot distribute their encoder by any means, so the issue is more serious than
RESTRICTED.

The bottom line is: 8hz cannot distribute the source, we should not port it.

Seigo TANIMURA           |M1, Nakagawa Lab, Dept of Electronics & CS
=========================|Faculty of Engineering, Yokohama National Univ