Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:25:33 -0800
From:      Dave Walton <dwalton@acm.org>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nfs mount failure at boot

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:55:50 -0800, "Crist J. Clark"
<cristjc@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 08:54:21PM -0800, Dave Walton wrote:
> > So obviously something has changed on the network in the 6 months or
so
> > since last boot that is preventing automatic nfs mounts.  But once the
> > system is up there is no problem.  What could have this effect on NFS?

> Are there host names in /etc/fstab?

No.  /etc/fstab contains IP addresses.

> Do you need DNS functioning to resolve these host names?

See above.

> Is DNS fully functional when NFS is started?

Probably not, since DNS is on the same machine, and I seem to recall that
named doesn't start until much later in the boot process than NFS.

This is one thing I've been wondering about...  Does NFS do some kind of
lookup, even if the mounts are specified by IP address?  One of the
changes made in the last 6 months was moving DNS to this machine, but I
wouldn't expect that to matter since the mounts use IP addresses.

Dave