Date:      Fri, 06 Mar 2009 15:17:38 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Horn <dhorn2000@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal: Rework ipv6 rtsol initialization in rc.d

David Horn wrote:
> Proposal:   Rework ipv6 rtsol initialization in rc.d

> Why:  on multihomed or transient (e.g. laptops) connections, ipv6
> autoconfiguration can be slow, causing ipv6 initialization delays
> while waiting for unsolicited router advertisements

I don't quite understand this problem statement. Can you flesh it out
a bit?

> What: add devd.conf entries, create /etc/rc.d/rtsol script (ala
> dhclient script), modify network.subr, update man 5 rtsol

This sounds like a significant change so I would like to see a
thorough justification for it before it goes in, and it will need
thorough testing to make sure that there are no regressions.

> Discussion point:  There is a comment in network.subr, and in man 5
> rtsol about multihomed connections not being appropriate for rtsol
>
> I read through RFC 2461 and 2462, and while it does list multihomed
> issues in appendix A of RFC 2461, it does not have any "MUST NOT" or
> "SHOULD NOT" language around router solicitations with respect to
> multihomed ipv6 systems.  (Someone, please correct me if I am wrong
> here, or if there is some other RFC that applies)  The multihomed
> issue is more around IPv6 autoconfiguration in general, not specific
> to soliciting for a router.  Since FreeBSD already allows for IPv6
> autoconfiguration on multihomed ipv6 systems (just without calling
> rtsol on multiple interfaces), I would think that this is really a
> non-issue for rtsol.

My main concern would be making sure that the routing issues
(particularly default routes for the various interfaces) don't end up
with regressions. In general I agree with the concern that RA isn't
really designed for use in a multihomed environment. That said, there
aren't really any good multihome solutions in any case, so as long as
this doesn't break anything I'm not opposed to giving it a go.

hth,

Doug