Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 23:17:43 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        George Morgan <gemorga2@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Backup...

As George Morgan wrote:

> Thanks for all the suggestions about tape backups...  But, if I'm
> going to spend as much as a DLT drive for backup, I might as well
> get a high capacity Magneto Optical drive.  Then I have ultimate
> reliability and random access.  How is the magneto optical support
> in BSD?

Not much support needed.  There used to be an od(4) driver previously,
but i believe CAM can now handle those drives well enough as plain
disks.

Regarding ultimate reliability, my experience tells me that a DLT has
a lower failure rate than a MO.  I've seen MOs go to hell, where you
couldn't read the data again from the medium.  (At my previous
employer, we've been using them a lot.)

--
cheers, J"org