Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 02:48:11 +1100
From:      davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getty patches

J Wunsch writes:
> > > Ah, you're going to bloat^H^H^H^H^Hdevelop our getty into another
> > > mgetty?  :)
> >
> > No. No fax handling, ...
>
> Well, once you're at the point where you are now, i don't see why it
> shouldn't be able to do basic fax handling.

Perhaps, but I'm not going to wear it since I don't need it
(and therefore don't have a reasonable testing environment). :-)

~
> Sure, it only makes sense if the state of this `enable
> RI pseudo-carrier' bit is retained across open/close, so you can open
> the port once with O_NONBLOCK set, issue the ioctl, close the port,
> and reopen it without the O_NONBLOCK.

Or have the ioctl() do the sleep itself and be done with it,
although that no doubt violates correct behaviour.

Hmm, perhaps one similar alternative to yours is to use an
unused termios bit (ok termios and ioctl - whatever) and
set it up with comcontrol as persistent for the port. It
should get reset after DCD is high, and set again when the
port is (last) closed.

> I'd like to see which opinion Bruce has about this...

:-) Me too, fwiw.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/