Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 5:24:47 -0400
From:      "Robert Mcmorrow" <rmcmorrow@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Your latest release, #4.0..

--- Robert Mcmorrow
--- rmcmorrow@earthlink.net
--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.
Dear FreeBSD,as it were,

I've seen the "New Box" in the store, holding release Version 4--Superb
graphics...er, at the bottom on the back, it says "Postscript Software
Included.."..a look at the latest version of the handbook shows we'd still
have to recompile the kernel and then scuff a printer-driver to get it
to print on demand. For an OS like FreeBSD--which, as a newbie, I've tried
and just from its feel alone (fast!),been very impressed by--why not,er,
do up a BSD version of Red Hat Linux's Printtool? Or a printer-probe
thingie? I say this because BSD's boot message,once I have it up and
running, notices the make and model of my printer..but there's no connect-
the-dots on printer activation..I still have to work on that printer-
driver(I've got notes culled from the Handbook to pore over yet). Some
of the tests suggested in the Handbook activate the printer,too, just
like it says they will..so near, and yet a bit far..I'm not so hot at
'scuffing'(my word)code yet,since I'm still learning The Commands (on
Linux..sorry). Possibly you're planning to import a setup program of
your choice;heaven knows the news of a Major Printer Maker saying it'll
put out Linux Printers makes me just say--God, it's open source, look
at the books, is it that hard to get a few Linux Driver floppies going??
But I hope BSD simply automates printer setup: Experienced unix-family
folk won't need it, and people like me will stop computer users on the
street to say(waving a BSD carton or CD)"Have I got an OS hot-rod for
you!!"
PS I support recycling,natch;paper isn't renewable forever.
Very Truly Yours--Robert McMorrow,a semi-newbie