Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 2008 18:41:47 +0300
From:      "Adrian Penisoara" <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>
To:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org,  freebsd-emulation <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>,  freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        rofug@rofug.ro
Subject:   Q: Is there any use for Oracle database port installation under Linux compat root ?

Hi,

  I am working on a FreeBSD port for Oracle's XE database package[1] (Linux
binaries) and I stumbled upon some issues related to USE_LINUX_PREFIX.
Before going any further trying to support (as an option) installing the
Oracle XE directly under the /compat/linux hierarchy (like the
database/linux-oracle-instantclient-* ports are doing), I have to ask ask
around the following:

(1) Is there any real need/benefit to have an Oracle DB installation rooted
under /compat/linux (e.g. /compat/linux/usr/lib/oracle/xe/...) ? Side note:
in this case all shell scripts will need to be ran under
/compat/linux/bin/bash.

(2) How does one deal with installing manual pages and shared files with
USE_LINUX_PREFIX -- do they also have to go under /compat/linux ? Using
${MANPREFIX} as a template gives wrong results in this case...

PS: The port will try to install by default under /usr/lib/oracle/xe, per
Oracle's  Linux packaging specs (all of the shell/SQL scripts use this
hardcoded path).