Date:      Sun, 01 Aug 1999 17:23:40 -0400
From:      "James C. Durham" <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH2 Won't forward priviledged ports

Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <379E85A1.1E734862@w2xo.pgh.pa.us> "James C. Durham" writes:
> : I can forward ports > 1024, but not < 1024.
>
> Feature.  Unless you are root, you cannot bind to those ports.
>
> : Somehow, even though I'm being authenticated as root
> : for login purposes, I'm not being authenticated for port
> : forwarding. I've made keys for both the client and
> : server machines for root.
>
> Are you root on the client machine, if not then your ssh

My apologies. I thought I had posted to this group with
the resolution of my problems, but in case I did not,
rebooting the server fixed the problem.

Several of us discussed this and it seems that something
must still have been listening on those ports, even
though I had commented out those services in inetd.conf
and issued a kill -1 to inetd (at least I *think* I did!).

The group's best guess was that I forgot to do the kill -1 .
They're probably right...

regards,
--
Jim Durham