Date:      Wed, 5 Dec 2001 19:48:54 -0600
From:      "Scott Gerhardt" <scott@gerhardt-it.com>
To:        "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Security Users and Groups

Is there a preferred User/Group configuration for FTP only and POP3 only
Webclients?

Here is what I have done so far:

To chroot FTP users, I have added "@webclient" to /etc/ftpchroot.

To restrict Logins I have added the following to /etc/login.access:
-:ALL EXCEPT wheel:console
-:ALL EXCEPT wheel staff:ALL

To deny FTP access to POP3 users I have added "@popclient" to
/etc/ftpusers.

All FTP and POP users are given nologin as their shell. Yes this is
rRedundant since login.access takes care of this already but you can't be
too safe.

QUESTION:
Which is the best scenario for setting users group parameters?:

1.) create each user as their own unique group (typical default) and make
them a member of webclient or pop client as required.

2.) make their login group = webclient or pop client as required.

To me it seems that #1 would be a better model with finer granularity and
that #2 will make the group file much smaller but with less control.