Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 18:49:08 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        "Oben O. Candemir" <dunya@one.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD IRC channels and ??quality??

> I've just looked at the output of:
>
> /who #freebsd -chops

Congrats!  I wondered how many days it would take you to figure that
one out.  Most seem to pick up on that inside of 15 seconds, to be
frank.

> You are obviously not an indifferent individual in re this topic and I
> understand why you have taken the criticisms I have made to heart. And

Not at all.  See everything I just said about EFNET being a cesspool.
I *know* it's a cesspool since I often leave an IRC client up and
connected there (though I might not always be watching) and I'm
generally vastly amused at the antics of the people I see in the
channel.  Amused, and nothing more.  It's like a walk through
Hamburg's red light district - interesting sights to see even though
you probably (if you're at all discerning) wouldn't want to partake of
the attractions in any more personal way.

The substance of your complaints so far seems to be that you *did*
wish to partake of all this particular red light district's
attractions and now you're whining that you caught syphilis.  Well
gee, I'm sorry that the product didn't come with more warning labels!
:-)

One would have also thought that the channel topic might have kept the
more observant tourists out, but still they continue to bumble into
the south side of Chicago and get mugged...  You out-of-towners
shouldn't wear those garish flowered shirts, they just mark you for
abuse like a piss-stain on white pants.

> also why you have rephrased my messages to your heart's content. You ARE
> one of the arrogant lot calling themselves chanops on #freebsd. A clearer
> picture is emerging me thinks...

Actually, I think you can't see the forest for the trees and should
not mistake that fuzzy view you currently have through the windscreen
as "a clear picture" by any means. :)

I get opped there because I'm jkh, and if you were jkh you'd get opped
too, regardless of your degree of participation in channel politics.
Not that I object, necessarily, since it does give me the option of
kicking off the idiots who periodically come through with their "you
all suck, Red Hat Rules all of you!" commentary, somehow thinking that
this particular "joke" didn't get old with the 5000th repetition.

As to your suggestion that I join linpeople or whatever, why?  As I
said before, I "hang out" on EFNET specifically because it's amusing.

IRC is not, for me, an instrument of anything more than general
amusement, nor do I have enough faith in the underlying technology to
try and make any more out of it than that and nor should you.  If one
had an AOL style voting engine, where people could throttle back the
"speakers corner" percentage of the population, a percentage which is
inevitable and quickly sours anyone with a desire for "civilized
discourse" on the whole concept, then it might just start to work.
You think they do those live internet chat channel celebrity
interviews with technologies like IRC?  Heck no, it's all moderated to
hell and doesn't have problems like flooders, spam bots, channel
take-overs or legions of 15 year olds who are bored, horny and looking
for an outlet.

Well, perhaps most people on IRC are bored and horny, but some
choose to exhibit this differently. :)

> "I bite my thumb at you sir"...

"I roll my eyes at you, sir"

You continue to insist that hammering in those nails with that
screwdriver is a good idea and nothing I say seems to disabuse
you of such wacky notions. :-)

- Jordan