Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 2003 14:09:48 -0300
From:      "Han Hwei Woo" <hhwoo@nb.sympatico.ca>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, "rmkml" <rmkml@wanadoo.fr>
Subject:   Re: VLAN/Bridge No response from trunk Interface

----- Original Message -----
From: "rmkml" <rmkml@wanadoo.fr>
To: "Han Hwei Woo" <hhwoo@nb.sympatico.ca>
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 1:29 PM

> Hi,
>
> sorry I not your help,
>
> but I have question :
>
> A) why trunk on subject ?
> trunk= two network interface aggregated
I'm probably mistaken on the use of the term "trunk" then. I was reading the
man page on bridge, and it seemed like what they described as a trunk
interface was what I was trying to accomplish.

> B) how many interface ?
All the interfaces in my setup are listed in the diagram (aside from the
parent interfaces of the vlan interfaces of course)

> C) and what is your conf on this ?
Essentially, GENERIC with unnecessary drivers stripped.

> D) You use freebsd 4.8, do you have updated via CVS ?
FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE, last cvs'ed about a week ago.

> Regard.
>

> Han Hwei Woo wrote:
>
> > Here's the network I'm trying to setup
> >
> >             192.168.0.3                            192.168.0.1
192.168.0.2
> > OpenBSD | vlan0----><--- vlan0 | FreeBSD | em0 ---><--- em0 | Windows
2000

> > with net.link.ether.bridge_cfg: vlan0,em0
> >
> > If I try to ping the FreeBSD machine from OpenBSD, arp requests are sent
out, and they are seen on both of the FreeBSD machine's interfaces. However,
no arp response is generated.

> > So, I enter in the arp entries myself.
> >
> > Once I do that, when I again try to ping the FreeBSD host from OpenBSD,
the ping requests are seen on both the FreeBSD interfaces. However, no
response is generated.

> > If I instead try to ping the OpenBSD machine from FreeBSD, the ping
requests get to the OpenBSD machine, and the OpenBSD replies, and both the
FreeBSD interfaces receive the reply, according to tcpdump. However, the
ping program does not receive them.

> > I also tried this setup:
> >
> >             192.168.0.3                            192.168.0.1
192.168.0.2
> > OpenBSD | vlan0----><--- vlan0 | FreeBSD | vlan1 ---><--- vlan0 |
Windows 2000

> > with net.link.ether.bridge_cfg: vlan0,vlan1
> >
> > And the same problem occurs. I have also tried with different network
cards as the parent interface of vlan0 on FreeBSD (fxp0,dc0).