Date:      Sat, 25 Jul 1998 08:41:50 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Jake <jake@checker.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a possible NAT setup

On 24 Jul 98, at 12:13, Jake wrote:

> this fall some friends and are thinking of getting a cable modem
> or an ADSL connection and would like to access it from three computers
> using a network address translator, FreeBSD of course, probably -stable.
> This mainly applies to the cable modem, since with ADSL we could get three
> IP addresses eliminating the need for any translating.

This is what I have, but over the phone line, not cable modem.

> What kind of CPU power will the NAT need for it not to be a bottleneck
> between us and the internet?  I have a 386DX40 I was thinking of using; 8
> megs of RAM, 2 100 megs hard drives and 2 ne2000 ethernet cards. Will this
> thing be able to keep up with the cable modem? It would probably also be a
> mail server, ftp server and web server, maybe samba to share a printer,
> but with very little load on those services since its just the three of
> us.  The other machines are reasonably fast pentiums; one running
> FreeBSD-current ( my machine :) ), the other two running win95.

My guess is yes.  I'm running a 486, and the load is 0,0,0.

> What kind of network applications will we be able to use from behind
> the NAT?  I generally just web surf, ftp, cvsup to keep my ports current,
> etc.  My friends are into IRC, ICQ and network games, quake2, etc. Stuff I
> couldn't care less about, but they will be paying 1/3 of the bill so...
> Can they use these services without a real IP?

I guess all of the above.  I'm running IRC, and ICQ, but not games.

> I've read a bunch of articles about setting up the network and stuff, I'm
> sure I can do it relatively easily, I'm just worried they won't be happy
> without a direct internet connection.  Is there another package besides
> ipfw that would be better suited to our needs?

I don't know, I'm still a newbie.  But if you want to know what to avoid
doing, try reading the stuff on my website.  Please laugh if you do.
<grin>
--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited