Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 20:16:23 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <stest030@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu>
To:        "Michael Pelletier" <michael_j_pelletier@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Company mail system question...

On Thursday 19 September 2002 07:05 pm, Michael Pelletier appears to
have written:
> I am reseaching for a mail system for my company. I would like some
> information for my research. Basically, I would need POP3, IMAP, etc
> support ans many of the client are windoze based. Thanks in advance.

I've used both Cyrus and Courier for this sort of situation.  Both work
well, and both are efficient (I have a low volume server with Courier
SSL-IMAP and ESMTP on a 486DX33 with 20 MB of ram).  I know of one
Cyrus system that supports tens of thousands of mail users.

I use Courier now and haven't used Cyrus in a few years, so I'm not sure
how current versions would compare, but I lean toward Courier.  It's
extremely flexible, but the documentation tends to lag behind its
development.  When I used Cyrus it was probably worse about that.

http://www.courier-mta.org is its home.
But if you decide to try it, install it from the ports system.  You
might want to read through their recent mailing list archives to get
some idea of what bugs you can expect to encounter.

- Bob