Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 22:00:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Felix-Antoine Paradis <reel@sympatico.ca>
To:        Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
Cc:        James Olson <jolson@cs.wisc.edu>, <hubs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: WWW/CVS Mirror ... Information ?

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Daniel Lang wrote:
> James Olson wrote on Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 12:23:48PM -0500:
> > Along the same lines, is it possible to be an official mirror without m=
irroring
> > all 50 gigs?  Currently I have 4.2, 4.3, 4.x stable and all -current st=
uff
> > mirrored until i can get more disk space for the rest of FreeBSD.
> [..]
> Well, some people on this list (Jason Andrade?) have proposed
> some terminology, like "tier 1"-mirrors, which should carry the
> whole lot, and which are able to sync from ftp-master.
> Further there are other mirrors (tier 2 and above), which
> do not sync directly, but from tier 1 mirrors.
>
> I think the discussion went that way, that official mirrors
> (with a freebsd.org DNS entry) should carry as much as possible
> and should preferably be tier 1, since they can be refered to
> as 'official' sources (e.g. in sysinstall).
>
> But as far as I can tell, this is not enforced. Access to
> ftp-master and DNS entries are handled separately by different people,
> and mainly on a individual basis (the responsible admin decides,
> if the request is granted). Of course, the set of files
> intended to mirror will have impact on the decision,
> (as well as estimated service quality, like bandwidth ).
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong...

This sounds pretty good. This seems to be a structured way of doing
things. But, here is one of my questions:

Will that structure slow down the distribution or new files/changes?

if file1 is changed, and the tier 2 server updates a bit before tier1
server does, will that slow things?

Will the "mirroration" ;> time will be taken into consideration?

Regards,

F=E9lix-Antoine Paradis
- felix@unixconsult.org && felix@freebsd-fr.org && 1-418-261-0865
- Qu=E9bec, Canada - Unix Consult Technologies
- finger key@idem.ath.cx for public key.
- FreeBSD French Documentation Project; www.FreeBSD-fr.org
- Les Sheriff et les Sales Majest=E9s: Oi! Oi! Oi!