Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 10:01:02 +0300
From:      arb-freebsd@iconnect.co.ke
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   boot problem

I've got here a Gateway 2000, i486 66 MHz, 8 MB RAM, 515 MB IDE hard disk,
16 bit ISA NE2000 compatible network card (ed0). I installed FreeBSD 2.2.5
on it over FTP from another BSDI server. The whole installation process
went OK, and I used the entire hard disk for FreeBSD. However, on
completing the install, when I rebooted, the system did not boot from hard
disk. After the inital gateway 2000 prompt on screen, it gave me:

read error

and just hung. It boots OK from the floppy disk, whereupon I can boot from
hard disk by typing 0:wd(0,a)kernel at the boot prompt. I did that,
started the system in single user mode, and fsck'ed the disk, in case
there were any corrupt files. That did not help. Then I did a complete
reinstall, but this time I enabled bad block checking from fdisk, in case
the boot sector was bad. Again the install went OK, but the system would
not boot, and gave the same "read error". Does anyone know what the
problem might be and how I could go about solving it? I don't know the
make of the hard disk.

--
Anand

Graduate life -- it's not just a job, it's an indenture.