Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 14:12:47 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Francis Vidal <francis@cody.usls.edu>
Subject:   Re: ugly /etc/rc.conf & others

Francis Vidal wrote:

> hello again guys!
>
> i'm confused with the way my '/etc/rc.conf' turns out whenever i do
> '/stand/sysinstall', the #<string> (comments) duplicate at the end of each
> line! here's what my 'rc.conf' looks like:

   [snip]

> o  how can i make the changes i make when in sysinstall permanent? (like
>    where i get my source, package, etc.
>
> o  why do i get "inetd[xxx]: login_getclass: unknown class 'root'"
>    messages on the system console?

Both these items are addressed in the errata.txt file for 2.2.2-RELEASE.
See the releases page on the web site, or the file in the ftp site.

> o  why can't i 'su' to root access? what must i do? it says i'm not a
>    member of something.

wheel group. Edit (as root) the file /etc/group, and add your user name
to the line for the wheel group.

> i'm sorry if i have so many questions about FreeBSD. this is my first time
> to manage to FreeBSD box although i've been using Linux for quite some
> time now. we use FreeBSD on our proxy server running Squid 1.NOVM.15 with
> 1.5G of cache. i have heard from the Squid community of FreeBSD's
> performance that's why we gave FreeBSD a try.
>
> thank you very much!

You welcome, but next time, please read the docs on the web site and
search the mailing list archives before you post to mailing lists. All
your questions have been answered to death on this list.

Nadav