Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:30:26 GMT
From:      Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/102474: linux_base-fc-4_8 appears broken, does not allow to run Linux binaries

The following reply was made to PR ports/102474; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
To: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc: Markus Hoenicka <markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de>,
        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:23:47 +0400

 On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:23:20 +0200 Alexander Leidinger wrote:
 > Quoting Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru> (from Fri, 25 Aug 2006 02:28:36 +0400):
 > > On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 23:48:08 +0200 Markus Hoenicka wrote:
 > >> Boris Samorodov writes:
 > >
 > >>  > Can you give me a link to ktrace.out for
 > >>  > "ktrace -i /compat/linux/usr/bin/ldd /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig"?
 > >
 > >> Yes, please have a look at:
 > >
 > >> http://refdb.sourceforge.net/stuff/ldd/ktrace.out
 > >
 > > Aha, /compat/linux/usr/bin/ldd is a script. Can't say for sure should
 > > it work or not but something strange does exist:
 > > -----
 > >  24546 ktrace   RET   ktrace 0
 > >  24546 ktrace   CALL  execve(0xbfbfe85e,0xbfbfe75c,0xbfbfe768)
 > >  24546 ktrace   NAMI  "/compat/linux/usr/bin/ldd"
 > >  24546 ktrace   NAMI  "/bin/sh"
 > >  24546 ktrace   NAMI  "/libexec/ld-elf.so.1"
 > >  24546 sh       RET   execve 0
 > > -----
 > >
 > > Alexander, can you comment on this behaviour? Thanks!

 > The kernel contains code to detect if a linux program is a script and
 > contains "#!" at the beginning. If it detects this, it tries to start
 > the linux version of the interpreter. At least it should do that. If
 > the above isn't a cut-down version of the ktrace, and if the linux ldd

 It is a cut-down version of ktrace. I expected that a linux shell
 should be execed, but not a native one. And later this shell is trying
 to find /lib/ld-linux.so.2 and boils out!

 > does contain "#!" as the first two characters of the file (I can't
 > check ATM), then there's something wrong here.

 Yep:
 -----
 # uname -a
 FreeBSD bsam.ru 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #0: Sat Aug 19 00:13:01 MSD 2006     bsam@bsam.ru:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
 # head -1 /compat/linux/usr/bin/ldd
 #! /bin/sh
 -----

 > Regarding the lib problem in the PR: FreeBSD 6.x and fc4 contain a
 > libc.so.6. So the order of the ld path (/compat/linux/etc/ld.so.conf
 > or how it is spelled) may matter. I don't have a 6.x system to test
 > this, so someone has to play around with it and report here (don't
 > forget to rerun the linux ldconfig with the '-R /compat/linux' option
 > after each change). If this doesn't solve the problem, I need to see
 > the complete ktrace of a failing program which tries to link with
 > libc.so.6.

 The lib problem is already fixed (non-standard file /usr/lib/libc.so.6
 existed at the submitter's machine). Thanks for your help.

 WBR
 --
 Boris Samorodov (bsam)
 FreeBSD committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve