Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 96 15:14:35 MDT
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        gfoster@gfoster.com (Glen Foster)
Cc:        taob@io.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need tips and tricks for UUCP mail and news

> There is an o'Reilly book on UUCP and usenet that is about the best
> I've seen on the subject.  It does not discuss Taylor UUCP
> specifically but it does show how UUCP works and what you need to
> configure to get it talking.  This book, and the on-line info
> documentation for Taylor UUCP (type "info uucp" at a shell prompt),
> should be all you need to get UUCP up and running.  Integration of
> SMTP mail and UUCP mail is not covered in this book, you pretty much
> have to dig into the sendmail docs. and config. files to achieve that.
> Integration of terminal servers is also not addressed, this is easy
> for incoming connections but can be hard for outgoing.
>
> The book is "Managing UUCP and Usenet" by Tim O'Reilly and Grace
> Todino, published by O'Reilly and Associates, Inc. ISBN:
> 0-937175-93-5.  It is not particularly well written and, to my mind,
> poorly organized, but it is the best I've seen available (practically
> the only).  I am not in any way associated with the authors or
> publisher (http://www.ora.com/) except as a satisfied customer.

I think you'll find that this is the old version.  I haven't seen it
myself, but I believe the new version combines the "Using" and
"Managing" books, and also mentions Taylor uucp.  Certainly I'd
recommend Taylor.

> This is at least the third time this subject has appeared in the
> FreeBSD discussion groups recently.  More and more ISP's appear to
> be using UUCP for "final mile" delivery of e-mail to small and
> medium-sized businesses, especially those that are concerned about
> the security implications of having a direct IP connection to the
> net.  It is admirably suited to that purpose.

Agreed, uucp is anything but dead.  I think it's still the best way to
deliver news to dialup sites, and it's definitely one of the topics in
my forthcoming Networking book.

> , one of the biggest shortcomings of SMTP is that there is little
> provision for polling (yes, I know about the SMTP "TURN" command).
> UUCP does polling very well.  Has anybody experimented with making
> "sendmail -q -Rdomain.of.interest -v" a login shell to handle IP
> customers who prefer to poll for their mail?

Good idea.  I'll think about it.

Greg