Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 09:14:51 +0100 (BST)
From:      jpmg@eng.cam.ac.uk
To:        kline@tera.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:  SCSI adaptor??

>    ``We are looking for support for an Adaptec 29160 controller or any other
>    Ultra160 controller.  I don't see it in the release notes for FBSD 4.0.
>    Guess that's not an option.''

The support's there - look in /usr/src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/ahc_pci.c.

I've currently got an Intel L440GX+ motherboard (with onboard Adaptec
7896/97 SCSI controller) with an additional Adaptec 29160 Ultra160
SCSI adapter plugged into it.  It's running FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE , and
can see all of the scsi interfaces (both the onboard ones, and the
29160 one) and all the disks on them.

No problems at all.

One niggle, but it's not FreeBSD related - I had to move the 29160
onto the second PCI bus as it insisted on conflicting with the onboard
controller, and I didn't have the time to determine if there was a
BIOS tweak to persuade them to behave.

Conclusion: FBSD 4.0-RELEASE supports the 29160 .

-patrick.