Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 2012 22:10:04 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Da Rock <freebsd-ports@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: linux-f10-nss_ldap: my first port - be gentle :)

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 22:31:51 +1000 Da Rock
<freebsd-ports@herveybayaustralia.com.au> wrote:

> I've been advised I should attempt to port this for general use to
> FreeBSD. I've been operating it manually very successfully now in a
> number of operations. This is, however, my first attempt at a port
> and I would like some guidance to see if I've done this right.
>
> I was advised to copy the essential parts from a similar port, so
> I've used archivers/linux-f10-ucl. This is my Makefile:
>
> # New ports collection makefile for:    archivers/linux-f10-nss_ldap
> # Date created:                2012-01-04
> # Whom:                    rskinner
> #
> # $FreeBSD$
> #
>
> PORTNAME=        nss_ldap
> PORTVERSION=        1.03
> CATEGORIES=        security linux
> MASTER_SITES= CRITICAL/rpm/${LINUX_RPM_ARCH}/fedora/${LINUX_DIST_VER}
> PKGNAMEPREFIX=        linux-f10-
> DISTNAME= ${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}-${RPMVERSION}
>
> MAINTAINER=        emulation@FreeBSD.org

This should be you (if you're willing to maintain the port).

> COMMENT=        nss_ldap library (Linux Fedora 10)
>
> CONFLICTS=
>
> USE_LINUX_RPM=        yes
> LINUX_DIST_VER=        10
> RPMVERSION=        8.fc9

This does not sound like you took a Fedora 10 RPM here, but you
specified in LINUX_DIST_VER that you use Fedora 10.

> USE_LDCONFIG=        yes
>
> PLIST_FILES=        usr/lib/libnss_ldap.so.2 usr/lib/libnss_ldap.so usr/lib/libnss_ldap-264.so
> DOCSDIR=        ${PREFIX}/usr/share/doc/${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}
> PORTDOCS=        COPYING NEWS README THANKS TODO
> DESCR=            ${.CURDIR}/../${PORTNAME}/pkg-descr

You don't need DESCR this way, it looks like this sets it to the same
file (but in a different way) than the default value of DESCR.

> .include <bsd.port.mk>
>
> And I have a pkg-descr file.
>
> Am I on the right track? I'm following the porters handbook as well.

When doing the "make makesum", please use "make -DPACKAGE_BUILDING
makesum" to get the checkums of the SRPMs recorded too. We are obliged
to provide the GNU sources the same way like the binaries, and IIRC we
have some logic which fetches the SRPMs on tha packaga bulding cluster.

Bye,
Alexander.