Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:16:45 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        "Don L. Belcher" <don@siad.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4-stable and "Stale NFS file handle"

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Don L. Belcher wrote:

[snip]

DLB> > some days ago I decided to move files to gain "new dirpref" performance
DLB> > boost. unfortunately, i've forgotten to unmount nfs partition from outer
DLB> > machines.
DLB> >
DLB> > now, after new boot, all of them show me an error such as
DLB> >
DLB> > /pub/.3: Stale NFS file handle
DLB> >
DLB> > moreover, I even can't umount them, even with -f, or re-mount it over.
DLB> > AFAIR, some times ago umount -f did work.
DLB>
DLB> try rpc.umntall(8)

It doesn't help much: it has deleted entries in /var/db/mounttab, but
"staly-mounted" partition entries still exist in output of mount, and I
still can't either `umount -f' them, or mount 'em over (the same "stale
NFS file handle" error messsage).

Thank you, either.

Any other ideas?

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]