Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 08:58:19 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did these files change on -STABLE?

In article <199808081511.RAA26771@internal>,
Andre Albsmeier  <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de> wrote:
> After applying src-2.2.0824.gz I found that, among others, the
> following files were intoduced into -STABLE:
>
> > DM sys/alpha
> > DM sys/alpha/include
> > FM sys/alpha/include/console.h
> Do they really belong there? I didn't find anything in the CVS messages
> confirming this, e.g.:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/alpha/include/console.h
>
> 1.39 Thu Aug 6 9:15:52 1998 UTC by dfr
> CVS Tags: HEAD
> Diffs to 1.38
>
> Port syscons to the alpha.  The driver itself has moved to sys/isa as it will
> hopefully become a portable driver usable by all architectures.  The api
> support files have had to be copied to sys/alpha/include since userland
> programs expect to find them in <machine/*.h>.
>
> All the revision history of the i386 syscons has been retained by a
> repository copy.

No, they do not belong there.  Whoever did the repository copy didn't
do it correctly.  This is an example of why committers are strictly
forbidden from doing repository copies (or anything else directly in
the repository) themselves.  The only people allowed to do repository
copies are:

    peter@freebsd.org
    jdp@freebsd.org
    asami@freebsd.org (for ports)