Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:32:32 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Wayne K9DI <k9bsd@k9di.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Procmail help please

--/WwmFnJnmDyWGHa4

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 02:17:21PM +0000, Wayne K9DI wrote:

> 	Wayne K9DI & Leader Dog Patriot here.  I am writing to ask for some help=
=2E =20
> I was reading a procmail quickstart guide (by Nancy McGough) and I got to=
 the part=20
> about the .forward file.  The guide stated that most modern systems don't=
 use=20
> .forward so my question is do I need a .forward file on system running Fr=
eeBSD=20
> 5.2? =20

It depends on how you configure your mail system.  If you use what is
provided by default -- sendmail(8) as the MTA, mail.local(1) as the
MDA, then running procmail(1) via a .forward file should just work.

However, most people wishing to use procmail will set it up as the
standard mail delivery agent -- for sendmail, all you need to do is
add:

    FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl

to your `hostname`.mc file and build and install a sendmail
configuration from that.  If you do that, then all of the mail
delivered on your system will be processed by procmail automatically,
and all you need is a ~/.procmailrc file containing your procmail
recipes (procmail will just deliver to the default mailbox if there
isn't a ~/.procmailrc).

There are usually similar ways of making procmail the default delivery
agent for other MTAs -- there's plenty of HOWTOs and other information
available if you search the net.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20